Thursday, February 08, 2007

Slow Down Culture

Today I came across this article about Slow Down Culture. It was about the culture in Sweden. The article mentioned one example. It goes like this,

The first time I was in Sweden, one of my colleagues picked me up at the hotel every morning. It was September, bit cold and snowy. We would arrive early at the company and he would park far away from the entrance (2000 employees drive their car to work). The first day, I didn't say anything, either the second or third. One morning I asked, "Do you have a fixed parking space? I've noticed we park far from the entrance even when there are no other cars in the lot." To which he replied, "Since we're here early we'll have time to walk, and whoever gets in late will be late and need a place closer to the door. Don't you think? Imagine my face.

It really got me thinking. I wonder how Bangalore would be if we implement slow culture. Will drivers let pedestrians cross on Airport Road? Will auto-fellas give up cutting into the lanes?

:-)

Dream on!

2 comments:

neurohavoc said...

hmmm... wonder if to call it slow down culture or well meaning culture.

Tiny Seal said...

Well, i think it is not a conscious decision. Most people will be nice if they have the time to be nice. The same set of Bangaloreans (is that what you call yourselves? :-)) would be bending over their backs for strangers if transplanted to Chinnapalli in the middle of nowhere.

madhuri.

PS: Hope your flight went smooth!