Thursday, July 24, 2003

This is how it started

he he,

When I read my last posting again, I thought, ehh…. something is missing there! I mean, I cribbed about rain and trains and office and things like that, alright… but I never talked about what made that trip so wonderful. (well, this is some kind of trick to make people read old blogs.) :-D

Come to think of it, I haven’t cribbed much yet. If there's anything I hate about Hyderabad, it's the summer. On certain days we hit 45, which broke the record of last year. I hate to hear that kind of thing. If we're going to break any temperature records, I want to hear things like it was the COLDEST day on record. I want to hear things like, "In a freak act of nature, it actually snowed two feet today!" That's what I want to hear.

Instead, for those two months, I did my best to spend as little time as possible in the outside world, racing from air conditioner to air conditioner. I make no secret of the fact that I derive no special pleasure from blazing heat.

I wonder how our forefathers actually survived this kind of heat without air conditioning. I don't get it. How'd they do it? You hear people say, "They were just acclimated to it back then, you know." Well, OK, but that begs the question, doesn't it? The question being...WHY WERE THEY ACCLIMATED TO IT? I mean, why the heck would you WANT to be acclimated to it?

I can just see it...a family wandering across the country for months and months. Finally they come to this wide-open space, when the husband says, "Well, what do you think of this spot?"

"Well, there's nothing but dirt and dust and rocks..."

"That's true..."

"And the sun is just blinding..."

"That's also true..." Husband says, squinting as he looks around.

"I believe it must be 48 degrees out here, totally uninhabitable by human life!"

"Yes, dear, I understand..." he says.

"But I'm sure we'll get used to it, darling," she says.


………And that was the beginning of Hyderabad. :-/