Tuesday, March 02, 2004

P1 Support

Hey, you guys must be wondering why there is nothing new here. I got several requests to update my blog. One of those goes like this.

xyz: update your blog :(
xyz: I want to put some nasty sarcastic comments up.
me: you /can/ put it on the existing blog entry.
xyz: Nah. I need new articles to feed my troll soul :)
xyz: Please?
me: heh, that was nice request.

Hmmm, I never knew that my blog serves as source of articles for troll souls. Let me start from where I left it last time.

I reached India alright, but got trapped into nasty SQLs, who love doing endless full table scans. I believe in this - As far as I'm concerned, if something is so complicated that you can't explain it in 10 seconds, then it's probably not worth knowing anyway (Courtesy Calvin). So I never troubled myself into reading stuff about performance tuning. To top it, Apps Performance tuning is as difficult as herding cats. (wait, now where did I read that line before?)

Everyday morning I get up and look for laptop, with my eyes half closed and brain still dead asleep. My P1 support starts at 8-30 (and yes, it’s pretty early as per my standards). Instead of enjoying my early morning dreams, I have to hunt for long running programs. When world is reading news paper while sipping hot coffee, I am trying to figure out which job can be killed. Well, that is one of the best things about being DBA. You can kill people’s job mercilessly. Muhahaha….

So this my soul-stirring tale about P1 support. The ordeal is going to last for another week, and I am already DEAD.