Wednesday, March 08, 2006
I had to blog about this. It's funny the way this painting has shaped up... rather colored up, to be more precise.
I wanted to paint a nice big rose in all violet shades. Something soothing... and full of light. So I started mixing the colors and to my surprise, I just couldn't get the right shade of violet with the oil paints. May be I didn't have the right reds and blues, or may be I didn't mix enough white in it. I decided to use that violet any way, since I thought it might look better on the canvas. By the time I finished putting the first layer, I was really disappointed the way it looked. The more I tried to correct it, it became more awful. It was kinda annoying. Here I wanted something in nice violet and light pink shades, and what I got was weird dull violet patches. The more I tried to correct it, more worse it became.
I think what I wanted was not possible with the oil colors. May be water colors will be a best bet. Any way, in any case that all violet rose was never going to look any better. So I decided to use some nice bright red, which I readily found in my palette. Matched that red with the violets and here it is.
As you can see, the colors are still wet, but I just couldn't wait for it to dry. :-)
I love it.